Friday, April 23, 2010

Little Concept Workshop cont.

--This latest meet (04-17-2010), I implemented a couple of new ways of approaching concept design. The main focus is construction and deconstruction, and the other is emotional implantation.

  • The first, has to do with taking something existing, deconstruct it to its bare elements, and reconstruct something new and fresh from those bits and pieces. I see every thing as an embodiment of many things, an echo of one and another. Therefore the artists are presented a random conceptual photographs or a pre-existing characters, their job is to study the image and create something original from it.
  • For this I pretty much randomly pulled some character and photograph off the internet, I don't want to use something that is familiar to the artists, I want them to have a clean pallet. I think sometimes after we are familiar with one subject, we tend to become quite biased to a certain view. If we see something new and random, it encourages our brain to think, and our mind to search through all that we know and experienced.
  • The second, comes from the musical part of my background. I was brought up in music, rather than art. Music always seem to paint a story for me in my mind, just like we can create echos of pre-existing images, I believe people are able to create from music. So for this section, a piece of music is played for 5 minutes (or 6 minutes depends on the piece), the artists are to draw as many things as they feel like during this time. The key is to feel the mood of the music, the way the beats are played, the way the melody sings, and anything that can be felt.
More experimental exercises to come, and more exploration are to be conducted :)

No comments: